In Egypt we are more prone to put anything on a pedestal. We think of our selves as the center of existence, thus the rules do not apply, and that in part explains why someone could spend all day barking after broads but outburst in fury when the shoe gets on the other foot. We like things to be epic, and we are ready to stake our credibility on jive. Naturally, Pink Floyd is the perfect fit for all that, and then some more.
Pink Floyd resonated with us like no other band. They struck a chord and morphed into this representation of Egyptian despair, embraced for all the wrong reasons. They also inspired the worst kind of wry arrogance amongst my peers, and that’s when things started to crumble. See I never heard Pink Floyd before I meet their fans, and they are the worst group of douche bags out there.
I couldn’t care less about the band. my beef is with the fans. I’ll admit to liking the some of their songs; My 17 year old self woke up one day to “Shine On You Crazy Diamond” playing on the radio and thought it was fucking badass. I also had a similar experience with ABBA’s “One Of Us,” so that might things in perspective. I think “Dark Side of the Rainbow” and “Another Brick in the WALL-E” are like the coolest thing ever and that Arabic version of comfortably numb is wicked awesome. But enough yakking, this is about Pink Floyd heads.
Some of common traits of the PF head business:
- With Pink Floyd above all of course, they tend to favor some other bands like Led Zeppelin, Scorpions, Metallica, Guns & Roses, Airosmith, Gary Moore, The Doors and basically any band that would play in a typical mid-nineties Episode of “The Midnight Cartoon show.”
- Having long-winded tales about shitty PF trivialities as their go-to topics every time they open their mouth.
- Not listening to any music made after 1990
- Having a condescending tone and inducing a I-wanna-kick-the-shit-out-you like compulsion.
- Doing Drugs (there are some exceptions thoguh).
See, I grew up with these mother fuckers putting me down, telling me I know nothing and I am musically crippled. They would look at me all gooey eyed in pity; How sad it is that I am gonna live my whole life without experiencing this flux of bliss, and at first I bought into their bullcrap. But much like finding out that your dad wasn’t the precocious boy wonder he claimed to be, I saw through their lies, and Just to prove a point, from now on, when people ask me about this blog I am going describe it as the Pink Floyd of Egyptian blogs.